So, Jason and I have started going to a group at our church called "Building a Lasting Marriage. It's a ongoing eight week series. So couples can join it anytime and just keep attending the classes until they come full-circle. The series is designed for any couple, married or engaged, who wants to enrich their marriage and "take it to the next level". There is a little homework involved, but it's only about half a page worth of questions to do with your spouse/partner and then we talk about it the next week in the class. I hadn't really thought of it as a commitment until a friend mentioned to me that it was a commitment taking an eight week class for you marriage...so I guess it is. I'm not sure if Jason's going to the next one or skipping it though, because I'll be out of town, so we'll have to go for the last six classes and then wait until the class we missed comes back around. Last night we learned about making a covenant. There was a smidgen of worship, followed by a marriage teaching. Then everyone takes a little coffee break to visit with each other. And then the last part is just talking about what we've learned the week before. There weren't too many couples in there...I think only seven couples, including the two couples of leaders, but I think there's usually more leaders in there.
They gave us these cute little bags filled with salt that we made our own covenant with to our spouse. It was pretty sweet. I think Jason might have even got a little choked up about it. Although he was probably trying to hide that a little. So now we have these little bags sitting in the living room with dates on the back of them as to when we made this covenant and when we have tough times we can just look at these little bags filled with salt think about the promise we've made to each other and God. It really does make you think of you marriage in a different way...at least I do. Jason and I have been thinking of renewing our vows in a year or so and we were talking about adding this litle ritual to our ceremony. I think it would be pretty cool.
Anyway, just wanted to fill everyone in on the goings on here and say that the class was fun. And it's nice to know that nobody's got a perfect marriage but we're all working on it! :)
New Assigments and Learning to Sail
2 years ago




















10 comments:
Those bags are cute! Glad you guys liked it and hope it continues to go good for you! What? When was someone gonna let me in on the secret that nobody's marriage is perfect?!?! ;-)
Yeah, I know...what a shock, huh? Marriage isn't just a piece of cake. The people are fun though and the group is pretty insightful. I could tell that Jason felt really comfortable there.
That is awesome! I'm glad you guys are learning new things. That is what life is about isn't it? :-) Cool idea on the renew vows keep us updated.
Neato. That's a great idea. I have some good news. First, I got hired for a temp job, and it was only for yesterday, but the lady at the personnel place that got me the job called and said they want me to come back tomorrow, and possibly Friday. They specifically said "We want Stefani back." Cool, huh? Secondly, I got up the courage to e-mail this guy on my friends list on myspace asking if he wanted to hang out sometime, and he agreed! He said it sounds "kewl as Hell." Hehe. He plays guitar in a band! He's a little older than me (five years) but that's ok. Maybe we'll hit it off. :) And if not, that's ok, at least I will have made a new friend to hang out with. He lives in Big Spring. My dad said that's about 45 min. away. So it would be like driving from Marysville to Seattle. I told the guy I have no problem driving to Big Spring. Anyway, I'm really happy!! Plus, I'm flying to WA Saturday to get my kids back! I'm so happy because I miss them so much! :)
I think thats really cool. My husband and I host a Bible Study in our home every Tuesday night and we've been discussing 1 Corinthians...can't really get through that book without talking about marriage. One thing that really stood out for me, anyways is our society's idea of getting "married and living happily ever after" is so misleading. That quote does not begin to describe the effort that goes into being happily married. For me, happily married includes being open to one another and working together to keep things fresh in your relationship.
oh man, I hope that makes sense..it made sense when I was thinking it...
Yeah, that totally makes sense. It was really nice meeting these people and having a place to learn about how marriage works...a lot of give and take. I thought marriage would be a cake walk when I said "I do"...turns out it's not quite like that. :)
I know eh? After I got married, I was all like, great now things can go smoothly! hahaha Was I ever in for a big surprise...After the honeymoon we had our first night in our apartment..All was going oh so well I drifted off to blissful sleep when this noise..this noise, noise, NOISE...I couldn't believe it! My husband, my wonderful husband snored to beat the band. Not only could he make a horrendous noise on the intake but also when he exhaled! I rolled right over and peered over at him...how could this be humanly possible, I wondered. At first I laughed until I realized that I couldn't fall back to sleep. I was flabberghasted! How would this ever work out now?! Luckily I came up with a quick plan, it included my elbow and his rib cage! It works marvelously!
Kind of a silly example but still there are a lot of things you don't think about before you're married that show up and you've got to figure out how you're going to deal with it as a couple.
My husband may not enjoy the night time prodding but we both sleep much better.. :)
I know eh? After I got married, I was all like, great now things can go smoothly! hahaha Was I ever in for a big surprise...After the honeymoon we had our first night in our apartment..All was going oh so well I drifted off to blissful sleep when this noise..this noise, noise, NOISE...I couldn't believe it! My husband, my wonderful husband snored to beat the band. Not only could he make a horrendous noise on the intake but also when he exhaled! I rolled right over and peered over at him...how could this be humanly possible, I wondered. At first I laughed until I realized that I couldn't fall back to sleep. I was flabberghasted! How would this ever work out now?! Luckily I came up with a quick plan, it included my elbow and his rib cage! It works marvelously!
Kind of a silly example but still there are a lot of things you don't think about before you're married that show up and you've got to figure out how you're going to deal with it as a couple.
My husband may not enjoy the night time prodding but we both sleep much better.. :)
oh sorry about that didn't mean to post twice!
Yeah, it's amazing how things change when you get married..."mine" becomes "ours" and all that good stuff, but I wouldn't have changed anything. Well, except to have had an actual ceremony instead of eloping.
Post a Comment