BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mwangaza Children's Choir

Last night Jason and I invited his family to attend church with us because the Mwangaza Children's Choir was going to be there singing from Africa. Tina was the only one who could come with us, the rest of the family really missed out! We were sitting there waiting for it to begin and all these beautiful children, ranging from ages 8 to 13, walk in and, after being announced, jump and dance their way onto the stage. They were dressed in the most vibrant blue and white outfits and they were so happy and smiling the whole time. You could just feel the energy! These children were there to represent the many orphans and children from single-parent families in Uganda and their "primary purpose is to share the message of God's Love, expressed through His only Son, Jesus Christ." They are currently raising funds for their orphanages, a new high school, which they need because they have over 700 kids who need to go on for further education and their current high school only hold 250 kids. They also need increased classroom space and general child sponsorship as well. So, Jason and I decided to sponsor a child from Uganda for only $30 a month. So after the concert was over we went out into the foyer, which was already swarming with people, and sqeezed our way through until we had two of their music cds in hand and a picture of a little boy in need of sponsorship...as soon as I saw this little boy's picture I knew I wanted to sponsor him.
I think it was a sign, although Jason probably thinks its crazy, that I'd been talking to my Nana about naming our next son Gabriel and it just so happened that was this little boy's name, I didn't know that until I had his folder in my hand. He's only four years old, in kindergarten, and loves drawing and playing with toys. Seb doesn't really understand it too much, but we told him we'd put Garbiel's picture on the fridge anyway. It doesn't say whether he's an orphan or not, hopefully not, but we're going to send him a letter here soon and maybe some pictures so we can get to know him. The concert was wonderful! I know everyone there really enjoyed it. And I'm really excited about gettng to help this little boy. For the price Jason and I would pay just to go out for dinner each month, Gabriel will receive tuition, medical assistance when needed, lunch, a uniform, and a pair of shoes for an entire year. I think that's an incredibly small price to pay to help another person, especially a child...and I'm crazy about kids anyway, so I think this is a good project for me. I think that when my kids are grown up and doing their own thing, I would also like to go on a mission to help people in the same circumstances, maybe in Africa or somewhere else that is needed. It definitely makes me grateful for all the things we have...and all those things we don't really even need!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Well I hope Tina enjoyed it as much as you did! That's so cool that you're gonna sponsor a child!! So are you already thinking you're gonna have another boy when you get prego?? Although I do like the name Gabriel!

Pixie said...

Yeah, I think Tina really did have a good time. She is sponsoring a little girl named Mercy. I was talking about the name Gabriel with my Nana because she'd mentioned it before from the bible. I just like that name, but I don't think Gabe Berry would sound quite right. :)

The Music in My Head...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones